- Name and contact information;
- Personal identification information, such as address, age, gender, family and marital status;
- Information about your vehicle and driving history, such as Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and prior accidents/highway traffic violations;
- Previous insurance and claims data history;
- Medical and health information;
- Employment information; and
- Financial and credit information, such as credit scores.
Withdrawal of Consent
Limiting Collection and Retention of Personal Information
Information on the Use of Credit Information
Accountability, Openness and Customer Access
We collect, use and disclose Personal Information (including to and from your broker or other insurance intermediaries, our affiliates and/or subsidiaries, referring organizations and/or third party providers/suppliers) in connection with providing your insurance products and services, including for the following purposes:
- Offering and providing insurance quotes, policies, and related products and services to you;
- Understanding your insurance needs and preferences;
- Administering and processing insurance products and services;
- Establishing and maintaining communications with you;
- Verifying your identity and the accuracy of your Personal Information through, for example, the exchange of information with government agencies, industry associations, property and motor vehicle information databases, brokers or other insurers;
- Analyzing, assessing, underwriting and reinsuring risks on a prudent basis;
- Determining and facilitating your payment of fees and premiums;
- Investigating and settling claims;
- Detecting and preventing fraud or other illegal activities;
- Compiling statistics and reporting to regulatory or industry entities in accordance with prudent insurance practices;
- Gathering your feedback to help us improve our products and services;
- Complying with the law or the requests of law enforcement agencies or regulators; and
- Notifying you of products or services that might be of interest to you.
It is important that you understand and consent to our collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information. We rely on the following actions by you as indications of your consent to our existing and future use of your Personal Information for Identified Purposes, until you notify us of a withdrawal of your consent:
- Your voluntary provision of Personal Information directly to us or through an insurance broker or representative for the purpose of acquiring an insurance contract or related service or product (including information previously provided to us);
- Your express consent or acknowledgement contained, for example, within a written, verbal or electronic application process;
- Your consent solicited by us (or our agent) for a specified purpose;
- Your consent given through your authorized representative such as a legal guardian, agent or holder of a power of attorney.
In the event you request changes, endorsements, or renewals to your policy, the original consent provided directly to us, or indirectly through a third party, will remain in effect.
We may use nominal personal information such as your name and address for marketing initiatives unrelated to your insurance coverage afforded by us.
Subject to certain legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice, you may withdraw your consent at any time.
In some cases, refusing to provide certain Personal Information or withdrawing consent for us to collect, use or disclose your Personal Information could mean that we cannot provide you with, or continue to provide you with, insurance coverage or other requested products, services or information. We will inform you of any consequences of withdrawing your consent.
We will only collect, use, or disclose Personal Information that is necessary for the Identified Purposes. We will retain your Personal Information only as long as necessary to accomplish our reasonable purposes and/or to satisfy our legal or contractual obligations. We may retain certain data to protect our business interests or as required or permitted by law.
We will keep your Personal Information as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the Identified Purposes. If your Personal Information changes, it is your obligation to inform us as soon as possible.
For the Identified Purposes, we may need to share your Personal Information with third parties in order to serve your needs. These other parties commonly include our affiliated companies, insurance brokers, and third party service providers, such as claims adjusters. We will use contractual and other means to control the use and disclosure of your Personal Information by third parties.
We will protect your Personal Information by various physical, technological, and organizational safeguards. When your Personal Information is no longer needed, security safeguards will also be employed to ensure the safe destruction of your Personal Information.
We or service providers acting on our behalf may process and/or store some or all of your Personal Information in jurisdictions outside of Canada, including the United States. Personal Information processed and/or stored outside of Canada will be subject to the laws of the country in which it is stored.
Your credit information may be used to determine your eligibility for certain discounts. A discount applied to your base premium is one factor, among many, that could contribute to changes in your premium. Your credit information may also be used to determine payment plan eligibility. Your credit information will not impact your eligibility for insurance coverage or your base premium rate. We will not apply surcharges, increase base premium rates, or refuse to provide coverage because of poor credit information.
You have the ability to check your credit report and history from credit reporting agencies. It is recommended that you request a copy of your credit report at least once per year to verify that your Personal Information is up to date, that your financial information is correct, and to ensure that you have not been the victim of identity theft. You can request a copy of your credit history from TransUnion at www.transunion.ca, by phone at 1-800-663-9980 (1-877-713-3393 in Quebec), or in-person at TransUnion customer relations offices (addresses available at: www.transunion.ca/customer). Other credit reporting agencies can provide a similar credit history report.
If you believe that there is a mistake in your credit history, you should contact TransUnion. If we learn of a correction to your credit file, we will update your file and re-evaluate your eligibility for certain discounts.
If you wish to withdraw your consent for us to use your credit information, please contact us at the telephone number or email address identified below in “Accountability, Openness and Customer Access” section. You may not be eligible for certain discounts without our ability to use your credit information.
Insurance fraud impacts us all and we take it seriously. To reduce the impact of insurance fraud on our customers, we pool policy and claims information from all RSA group of companies for sophisticated analysis.
Our increased efforts to detect fraud are only done within our strict security standards and do not in any way compromise the safety of your information as protected by privacy law.
1-888-877-1710 for RSA Canada and Western Assurance Customers.
1-800-663-1953 for Canadian Northern Shield Customers
When you call us, we may confirm your identity by asking you to confirm certain Personal Information and you may be directed to send us certain requests in writing.
* In this Policy, "customer", "you" or "your" includes any individual who has requested, applied for or been supplied with, products or services (including claims services) by us including any other individual for whom the customer has acted as agent, guardian or representative. “We”, “our” or “us” means RSA, CNS, and WA. RSA, CNS, and WA are part of the RSA group of companies and share common ownership.
™ “RSA”, RSA & Design and related words and logos are trademarks and the property of RSA Insurance Group plc, licensed for use by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada. RSA is a tradename of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada.
™ “CNS”, CNS & Design and related words and logos are trademarks and the property of RSA Insurance Group plc, licensed for use by Canadian Northern Shield Insurance Company. CNS is a tradename of Canadian Northern Shield Insurance Company.
™ “WA”, WA & Design and related words and logos are trademarks and the property of RSA Insurance Group plc, licensed for use by Western Assurance Company. WA is a tradename of Western Assurance Company.
71441 (Jan 2019)